WILL IN SAME SEXED RELATIONSHIP:  I am a female living with another female in a relationship. We purchased a house together a few years ago. But my partner made out a will that if she dies before I do, the property will be sold and her share is to go to her sister. Can she do that?

There have been a number of cases similar to your problem. First you have to find out if the property was purchased in ‘tenancy in common’ or in ‘joint tenancy.’  Usually in a joint tenancy the surviving partner automatically inherits the property. These days most couples purchase property in joint tenancy. But theoretically, if the property was purchased in tenancy-in-common, your partner can in fact bequeath her half share to her sister. Of course, you will appeal on the basis that in a relationship, even in a same sex relationship, the principle of the surviving partner staying in the ‘family home’ ought to apply. But it is better to discuss this with your partner in a lawyer’s office where you will get immediate feedback about your circumstances.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: